Dr Geoff Coxon
Tel : +44(0)141 548 5754 (Ext. 5754)
Dr Geoff Coxon is a lecturer in Medicinal Chemistry. After receiving his PhD from the University of Newcastle upon Tyne, and a short term industry, he moved SIPBS where he set up his research group in the discovery and development of new agents to treat tuberculosis. He is the co-founder and Deputy Leader of TB Drug Discovery UK (www.tbd-uk.org.uk). In this role he works with fellow scientists and clinicians, UK government policy makers and advocates with the goal of strengthening scientific research across all areas of TB drug development as a key part of the UK response in the global eradiation of the disease.
"TB Drug Development-UK (TBD-UK)"
Medical Research Council
- Al-Balas Q, Anthony NG, Al-Jaidi B, Alnimr A, Abbott G, Brown AK, Taylor RC Besra GS, McHugh TD, Gillespie SH, Johnston BF, Mackay SP, Coxon GD (2009) Identification of 2-Aminothiazole-4-Carboxylate Derivatives Active against Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv and the β-Ketoacyl-ACP Synthase mtFabH. PLoS ONE 4, e5617 [DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0005617]
- Coxon GD, Furman BL, Harvey AL, McTavish J, Mooney MH, Arastoo M, Kennedy AR, Tettey JM, Waigh RD. (2009) Benzylguanidines and other galegine analogues inducing weight loss in mice. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 52, 3457-3463 [DOI: 10.1021/jm8011933]
- Mooney MH, Fogarty S, Stevenson CS, Gallagher AM, Palit P, Hawley SA, Hardie DG, Coxon GD, Waigh RD, Tate RJ, Harvey AL, Furman BL. (2008) Mechanisms underlying the metabolic actions of galegine that contribute to weight loss in mice. British Journal of Pharmacology 153, 1669-1677
- Mooney, MH, Fogarty, S, Stevenson, C, Gallagher, AM, Palit, P, Hawley, SA, Hardie, DG, Coxon, G, Waigh, R, Tate, RJ, Harvey, A & Furman, B (2008) Mechanisms underlying the metabolic actions of galegine that contribute to weight loss in mice.. British Journal of Pharmacology 153, 1669-1677 [DOI: 10.1038/bjp.2008.37]
- Grant, Prof M.H., Carter, Dr K.C., Tettey, Dr J.N.A., MacKay, Prof S.P., Clark, Dr R.L., Coxon, Dr G.D., McFarlane, Dr E., Owusu-Dapaah, G., Duong Thi, M.D., Mullen , A.B., (2007) Identification of a new class of antileishmanial agent.. BIOORGANIC & MEDICINAL CHEMISTRY 17, 624-627
- MacKay, Prof S.P., Coxon, Dr G.D., Minnikin, D.E., Besra, G.S., Brown, A.K., Bhowruth, V., Reynolds, R.C., (2006) Symmetrical and unsymmetrical analogues of isoxyl; active agents against Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters 16, 4743-4747 [DOI: 10.1016/j.bmcl.2006.06.095 ]
Bilal Ali Ahmad Al-jaidi: 'Design and Synthesis of Novel Antituberculosis Agents' (started 2007)
Giacomo Berretta: 'the Synthesis of Cyclopropanating Enzymes in Mycolic Acid Biosynthesis Towards New Drug Candidates for the Treatment of Persistant Tuberculosis Infect' (started 2006)
Helena Isabel Pereira Goncalves: 'The identification, design and synthesis of inhibitors of the TpX from Mycobacterium tuberculosis' (started 2011)
John Jeh Lung Tiong: 'Discovery of novel antibacterial and anti-tubercular compounds using chemical genetics and computational approach targeted at phospholipid biosynthesi' (started 2009)