Professor Clive Wilson
J. P. Todd Professor of Pharmaceutics
Tel : +44(0)141 548 2207 (Ext. 2207)
Clive Wilson is the J. P. Todd Professor of Pharmaceutics at Strathclyde University and serves on the European Union Federation of Pharmaceutical Sciences teaching and overseas liaison committee. He completed his Ph.D. with Professor Dennis Parke in drug metabolism at the University of Surrey. His first position was an Asthma Research Council Fellow at the Cardiothoracic Institute, London becoming a Lecturer in Biochemical Pharmacology and moving to Nottingham Medical School to become Reader in Applied Pharmacology.
Major areas of research have been the study of the behaviour of drug formulations in man. With colleagues at Nottingham, he pioneered applications of scintigraphy in the study of physiological and patho-physiological effects on drug absorption following oral, nasal, pulmonary and ophthalmic delivery. In the university, his group collaborates with industry on ophthalmic drug delivery projects especially related to the behaviour of ocular implants. He is a member of the steering group of the IMI OrBiTo programme and co-manages the Strathclyde group with Professor Gavin Halbert. Recent new areas of interest include additive soft and hard matrix technologies for drug delivery, and several programmes in novel therapies for treating ulcerative colitis.
Primary Teaching activities are in the field of Biopharmaceutics and formulation research.
"Retinal Drug Delivery"
"Tissue permeability for enhanced drug delivery."
GlaxoSmithKline Research & Development Ltd
"The development of a Raman based detection for the identification and quantification of residual Carbopol ETD 2020 delivered from a toothpaste formulation onto teeth for in vitro and in vivo detection"
"Ultreasound for opthalmic implants"
- Shah H.K., Conkie J.A., Tait R.C., Johnson J. R. and Wilson C. G
(2011) A novel, biodegradable and reversible polyelectrolyte platform for topical-colonic delivery of pentosan polysulphate. International Journal of Pharmaceutics 404, 124-132
- Goodman K., Hodges L.A., Band J., Stevens H.N.E., Weitschies W., Wilson C.G. (2010) Assessing gastrointestinal motility and disintegration profiles of magnetic tablets by a novel magnetic imaging device and gamma scintigraphy. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics 74, 84-92
- Kek W K K, Miller J., Rawson-Lax E., Wilson C.G., Uttamchandani D. (2010) An in situ measurement of spectral changes in the anterior eye following application of ultraviolet absorbing compounds. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics 75, 200-205
- Kek W K., Foulds W S., McConnell G, Wright A J, Girkin J M & Wilson C G. (2010) Two-photon fluorescence excitation microscopy to assess trans-scleral diffusional pathways in an isolated perfused bovine eye model. INVESTIGATIVE OPHTHALMOLOGY & VISUAL SCIENCE 51, 5182-5189 [DOI: doi:10.1167/iovs.09-3854 ]
- Laude A, Tan L. E., Wilson C. G., Lascaratos G., Elashry M., Aslam T., Patton N., Dhillon B. (2010) Intravitreal therapy for neovascular age-related macular degeneration and inter-individual variations in vitreous pharmacokinetics. Progress in Retinal and Eye Research 29, 466-475 Published (review)
- Tan L.E. Wilson C G, Burke J, Orilla W, Hughes P J. (2010) Effects of vitreous liquefaction on the intravitreal distribution of sodium fluorescein, fluorescein dextran and fluorescent microparticles. INVESTIGATIVE OPHTHALMOLOGY & VISUAL SCIENCE In Press
Dr Eileen Mcbride
Mohammed Allami: 'Delivery of drugs from biopolymers' (started 2008)
Ruairidh Gair Couston: 'Characterising immunoglobulin-polysorbate interactions' (started 2009)
Jenifer Mains: 'Kinetics of drug distribution in the eye' (started 2008)
Joseph Edward Muench: 'Application of Hyperspectral Imaging in Pharmaceutical Analysis' (started 2009)
Dr Lay Ean Tan